7 Common Electrical Problems In Your Home
As a homeowner, you want to consistently be on the lookout for anything malfunctioning in your home. Issues with plumbing, heating, or gas are common things you can expect to deal with at one time or another. Some of the most common home problems, though, are electrical issues.
Though it may not seem like it, there are many issues your home can experience when it comes to electrical problems. While some may be relatively simple to fix, some are much more complicated and may require that you hire an electrician. Home One Services is no stranger to assisting homeowners with a wide range of electrical problems. We have electricians that service Lancaster PA and the surrounding areas.
Here are some of the most common electrical problems to keep an eye out for at home:
- Broken light switch – Have you ever walked into a room and tried to turn on the light, only for it not to work? Broken light switches are one of the most common electrical issues you can have at home. Typically, this can be fixed relatively easily. After shutting off the electricity through your circuit breaker, you can remove the light and replace it with a new one.
- Warm outlet – If you feel your outlet and it’s very warm even though nothing is plugged in, there can be a number of causes for this. Corroded wires, an overloaded outlet, or the outlet being wet can cause it to heat up. This is a serious concern and should be taken care of immediately by a professional.
- Frequent blowouts – A lightbulb blowing out from time to time isn’t necessarily a huge cause for concern, however, if you find it happening somewhat frequently, it is something to look into further. This could be happening as a result of a poorly connected socket, or even issues with your home’s insulation overheating.
- Power spikes – If your power experiences spikes relatively often, it may be a result of poor connections to your power source. Some devices may be poorly made and damage your electrical source, causing an unnecessary amount of power resulting in a surge. You may also experience dips in your power if you’ve got too many devices plugged into one place.
- Electric shocking – Sometimes you may accidentally shock yourself on an outlet from time to time, but usually this is a more mild experience. However, serious or frequent shocks could happen as a result of poor wiring. If you have this issue, contact an electrician immediately to determine if your home’s electrical wiring is causing the shocks to be safe. Nothing is more important than the safety of you and your family.
- Burning smell – Unless you’ve burnt something in the oven, a burning smell is a sign of a serious home issue. If you smell burning and can’t identify a fire, it may be an electrical issue. If possible, try to figure out where the burning may be coming from and shut off the power to that source. From there, you’ll need to hire an electrician to help. Once again, you should never gamble with the safety of you or your family.
- Damaged wires – Damaged wires can be caused by a number of things – one of the most common, though, is from a rodent issue. Rats and other rodents tend to chew on the plastic sheath covering wires and have the capacity to cause serious damage. If they bite deep enough, their damage can lead to significant electrical issues in your home.
Though some simple electric issues may be easy to fix yourself, you should hire an electrician for anything above basic tasks. Many home electric problems can range from mild to serious. While some may create a minor inconvenience, others can cause harm and severe injuries. If you’re experiencing electrical issues in your home, consider contacting Home One Services located in Lancaster, PA. We have experienced electricians that can help solve most home electrical problems. Click here to get more information on the services we provide or to request an estimate for your next home project.